Friday, June 25, 2004

Politics: Another All-Star team

Rolling Stone convenes an All-Star panel for a round-table discussion of the situation in Iraq. The panel includes many of my favorite Bush critics; Generals Zinni & Clark, Joe Biden, Rand Beers and my old post-9/11 buddy Fouad Ajami and others. The panel is not even close to balanced, but since the idea is to critique the war, that's fine by me. The play of the day is this quote from Biden:
Biden: I was in the Oval Office the other day, and the president asked me what I would do about resignations. I said, "Look, Mr. President, would I keep Rumsfeld? Absolutely not." And I turned to Vice President Cheney, who was there, and I said, "Mr. Vice President, I wouldn't keep you if it weren't constitutionally required." I turned back to the president and said, "Mr. President, Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld are bright guys, really patriotic, but they've been dead wrong on every major piece of advice they've given you. That's why I'd get rid of them, Mr. President -- not just Abu Ghraib." They said nothing. Just sat like big old bullfrogs on a log and looked at me.

I'm surprised Cheney didn't unleash one of his patented f-bombs.

No comments: