Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Hell, No

Hilzoy at Obsidian Wings is really on a roll these days, and this post on the Dems knuckling under on the Appropriations Bill last week is a good one. I wasn't really sure how I felt about it at the time, or how pissed off I should be. Hilzoy looks at it in three parts: "first, what's right, second, what's politically smart, and third, the one thing that makes me hesitate."

Really helped me get my thoughts together...Very pissed sounds about right. "Colonel, take us to DEFCON five."

In the comments, somebody linked to this scathing column by the great Charlie Pierce on the Dems selling out last year on torture. Check out the opener...
THE SILENT PARTY. You worthless passel of cowards. They're laughing at you. You know that, right? The national Democratic Party is no longer worth the cement needed to sink it to the bottom of the sea.

God, reading that and recalling that fiasco, REALLY gets me fired up. "Flush the bombers, get the subs in launch mode. We are at DEFCON 1."

Last week, I would say Ezra's view pretty closely mirrored my own. Now I'm a bit more disenchanted.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Welcome to the dark side.

Mr Furious said...

Look, it might be the better long-term political strategy...but I'm fucking sick of keeping our powder dry."

Stand up and fucking do what's right. Pay the price if need be—though, I suspect, you might not actually have too. I just wish the Dems would have the balls to find that out.

Anonymous said...

In the best tradition of Olympics coverage, ABC interjected mini-profiles of finalists between spelling rounds. Isabel Jacobson of Madison, Wis., revealed a favorite word dripping with currency: kakistocracy.

She defined it as "government by the worst people possible." The American Heritage Dictionary online says it's from the Greek and means "government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens." Who says TV isn't educational?