Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Camera Eye: Winter Solstice


Time to mix it up a bit around here...I'm going to be tossing in some photography with your irregularly-scheduled programming. I'm not foolish enough to try for a "daily photo," but I will try to put up things at a reasonable frequency that I think are interesting in one way or another—even if just to me.

So without further ado, here is a shot of our house, modestly dolled up for the holidays. It was taken shortly after the earliest dusk of the year, while bitterly cold (for N.C.) and extremely windy (for anywhere). Fitting, I think, for the first day of winter. This marks the debut of the new Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8 lens. So far, so good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pic, and that's a nice focal-length range.

Hope you and yours have a nice Christmas, Mr. F.

Bob said...

Nice place.

Anonymous said...

Here I drop by for a visit from SW's place and immediately I start acting pedantic, but it is one of the few fun facts I know. Namely: the winter solstice, although it is the shortest amount of daylight during the year, does not mark the earliest sunset of the year (north of the equator). That happens on 7 December. (You can sort of see it with this cool Naval Observatory calculator.)

Regardless, it's a romantic picture. Happy Solstice!