Via Toast, it's time to take stock of the year that was 2008...
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before? I'm at a loss here. I think my life has really settled into a routine. A comfortable one.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I'm back at the exact same weight—181. So I failed on that one. The goal was 170, and I'm setting sights on that again. Since I fell out of the highest preferred category for life insurance and got bad cholesterol numbers back, I have renewed motivation.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My youngest sister had her first child—Mazey.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Nope.
5. What places did you visit? Greenville, SC; Charleston, SC; Asheville, NC; Martha's Vineyard.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? First: No worries about the health of Kid Furious. Last month marked two years seizure-free, and discontinuing her medication. And in February she had the second and hopefully last procedure on her eyes. Second: Financial security.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Tuesday, November 4 would be the biggest specific "date." But other events include a new job and moving and the medical milestones noted above.
8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year? Finally getting that long sought-after new job. I am finally back in my specific area of expertise (magazine art direction) and am totally reinvigorated about my career.
9. What was your biggest failure? Probably letting my weight stagnate and health decline.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing beyond #9.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Our house.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My kids. Barack Obama. The publisher who hired me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? John McCain, Sarah Palin and just about everyone with an (R) after their name. The media. Bill and Hillary Clinton.
14. Where did most of your money go? Mortgages and realtors.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? New job. I really like our new house as well.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Anything off "Consolers of the Lonely" and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" (Obama's theme music).
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? +/- a pound.
c) richer or poorer? A wash. New job has a much higher salary, but less benefits and I lost all my freelance work. The income is more secure and steady however. And that means a LOT.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Exercise. Sleep. Relax.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Eating. Worrying. Procrastinating. And, alas...blogging.
20. How did you spend Christmas this year? In our new home, in my pajamas the whole day with absolutely nowhere to go. It was great.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Already fallen...
22. How was work? I think I've covered this by now...I love my new job.
23. What was your favorite TV program? "The Daily Show." I don't really watch any tv regularly.
24. What did you do for your birthday in 2008? Become old.
25. What was the best book you read? "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" by Kate DeCamillo
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? I won't count the Raconteurs as a "discovery," but I guess these three qualify.
27. What did you want and get? Aren't you sick of hearing about my job yet? Some new camera gear.
28. What did you want and not get? Year-end bonus.
29. What was your favorite film of this year? In the theater: "Iron Man." At home: "No Country For Old Men," perhaps?
30. Did you make some new friends this year? Yes. A new office-full.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Getting more money for our house in Michigan.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Spendthrift. Thirty-fucking-six-inch waist.
33. What kept you sane? Focalin™. Blogging. Photography.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Barack Hussein Obama.
35. What political issue stirred you the most? Presidential primary and election.
35a. What political issue stirred you the least? The rats fleeing the sinking Bush Administration? I don't really know.
36. Who did you miss? Friends and family in general. I never went home to CT this year, and missed my opportunity to go Up North, or to New York, etc...
37. Who was the best new person you met? I've met too many people...I'm withholding judgment.
38. Burn any bridges? Yeah...things got kinda rocky with my parents, but it's on the mend.
39. Best new restaurant you went to? 12 Bones (BBQ place here in Asheville).
40. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. It'll sound cheesy, but "keep plugging away." It took a couple years, untold dozens of resumes, and several interviews around the country, but I nailed down a good job back on a magazine.
(here's last year's list for reference. Like you care.)