Friday, March 17, 2006

FRT: From the W.O.P.R.

"Shall. We. Play. A. Game?"

Again, up late doing some freelance work on the big G5. Which is good because the iPod is getting so stale I think I hit skip at least 7 or 8 times on the way home today. Roll 'em...

1. Joe Walsh "The Confessor" -- My wife got me an iTunes card for Valentine's Day. This is one of the many single songs from back in the day that I've been filling in with. Stuff I have on vinyl, that I'll never buy on CD... I love this freaking song. Minus one for the overly electronic drums... 8/10

2. Rhino Bucket "One Night Stand" -- They wish they were AC/DC. I mean, they are practically a cover band. First heard on the radio in Maryland or so on the way back from Spring Break in college. 6/10

3. Chicago "Feelin' Stronger Every Day" -- Solid. Too bad most people think of the MTV era crap when you mention Chicago. 8/10

4. dada "How To Be Found" -- Off the last album. Much as I enjoy the band coming back from "retirement" and they are as good live as ever, but this album and this song in particular is super-weak. 3/10

5. Metallica "The Shortest Straw" -- Run of the Mill-ica. 5/10

6. Tears For Fears "I Choose You" A jarring transition to say the least. Off the strong "Raoul" album which was a good follow to the excellent "Elemental." Both waaay better than the "Sowing the Seeds"-era pablum. 5/10

7. Liz Phair "Supernova" -- S'Okay. I really thought this album was a lull between "Guyville" and "SpaceEgg" 6/10

8. Jonny Lang "When I Come To You" I don't know why I have this. I think my dad of all people might have bouht it for me... It's pretty good blues, but doesn't seem quite authentic. 6/10

9. Jethro Tull "Hymn 43" Lot's of '70s stuff today. 6/10

10. Genesis "Mad Man Moon" -- More '70s. One of those big 8-minute epics from the post-Gabriel era. 7/10

6.0 Ouch. It didn't taste that bad going down. I think I am grading a little tougher these days.

No comments: