Friday, October 22, 2004

Politics: Bush Ads Kick Ass

Yup. You read that right. Bush's ads are good. Better than Kerry's. They are Grade A bullshit, but they are good.

Bush's ads are like actual, creative, clever major ads you see companies saving for the SuperBowl. Check out "Wolves," "Risk" or "Don't Take Chances." Yeah, they are fear-mongering and misleading (particularly the outright fabrications in the health care ad), but they are slick, powerful and, I imagine, thoroughly convincing to an uninformed viewer.

Kerry's ads are the same old political campaign ads we've been seeing for twenty years. In many cases, no better than your local candidate for State Senate.

What's my point? I don't know. Is this the Art Director in me frustrated at the lameness of my guy's ads? Yeah, mostly. Do I think it makes a difference? I don't know. Are any people dumb enough to believe Bush or his ads going to vote for him anyway? Probably.

At least our third-party ads kick ass on theirs. MoveOn.org has some great ones in their 10 WEEKS campaign (esp. Weeks 3, 5, 7, and 9 -- the new Margaret Cho one sucks, bad timing), and MarriageRights.com's "Threats" is funny and clever, and "Permission" is moving. Good stuff.

No comments: