Tuesday, January 24, 2006

No Excuses. Call NOW!

I work in an office with no long distance, that is the usual hurdle for me calling my representatives. No longer. CALL 1-800-426-8073 or 1-888-355-3588 AND TELL YOUR SENATOR YOU EXPECT THEM TO OPPOSE THE ALITO NOMINATION, AND SUPPORT A FILIBUSTER IF IT COMES TO THAT. Do it now. It took me less than thirty seconds.

If you only call your Senators once in your life, this is the time. I cannot think of a more important issue than opposing this lifetime appointment. This isn't about "a judge in the mold of Sandra Day O'Connor" or even Roe v. Wade anymore. Alito or any subsequent nominee from Bush will oppose Roe, but this nominee subscribes to such a broad view of Executive Power that he is a threat to the very Constitution and the Separation of Powers. I don't care if the Committee Dems failed to "damage" Alito in the hearings, and if that raises the political risk. It's time for the opposition party to oppose. As I said last week, this is the time to make the stand.

UPDATE: There are countless petitions sites up and running, I like this one, it gets right to the point. In the comments section, this is what I added:
Samuel Alito is a threat to the very Constitution and the Separation of Powers. He represents total fealty to the Executive Branch and is the greatest threat that President Bush could send up for nomination. I expect any judge nominated by Bush to oppose Roe, but Alito will do far more, and worse than that. The creation of an all-powerful Executive is too grave a risk. This nomination must be stopped now. By filibuster or any means necessary. If Alito still ends up on the bench because the Republicans break the rules of the Senate, so be it, but I expect you as my Senator and all of your colleagues to oppose this nomination with every possible effort. You will not cast a more important vote in my opinion, and I, and everyone I can tell, will be watching.

No comments: